Article Discussion: What is Mathematical Thinking?
by Barbara Ball
"A math teacher can decide to spend class time in two different
ways: drilling students in routine operations, which would kill their interest
and shut down their intellectual development or let them become curious about
certain problems they are presented with at the right level, which would help
them develop independent thinking skills." This was written by G.Polya in
1944, yet educators still face the same challenge of stepping away from
teaching math in a closed way (computation-based) and encouraging students to
engage in real mathematical thinking.
'Research on adults born in 1970 shows that their self-esteem and
self-confidence at the age of 10 was as important as their academic ability in
predicting later achievement." So, instead of killing students' interest,
educators need to foster an environment where students learn to enjoy doing
math. We want to raise kids who can think independently and critically so that
they are able to solve problems in the real-world whether it be a simple task
of choosing which detergent to buy to a complicated task of deciding which
stock to invest in later in their lives. In order to do that, we need to define
what mathematical thinking means and what its implications are in math
education.
When engaging in a mathematical task, it's important to focus and pay
attention to what we do before
presenting a possible solution. The thinking that happens during the process is
very valuable in developing critical problem-solving skills in students:
- identify a task
or situation to explore
- break down a
task
- identify similar
tasks which may help
- identify
appropriate knowledge and skills
- look for a
pattern or connection
- identify
assumptions
- select a
strategy that might be appropriate
- consider
alternative approaches
- formulate a
conjecture (a theory / guess)
- test the
conjecture and reformulate if necessary
- prove the
conjecture
- make connections
|
Words
That Describe Mathematical Thinking
|
Example
Prompts
|
|
Exemplifying, Specializing
|
Give me one or more examples of...
Describe, Demonstrate, Tell, Show, Draw, Find
|
|
Completing, Deleting, Correcting
|
What must / can be added, removed, altered?
Tell me what is wrong with...
What needs to be changed so that...
|
|
Comparing, Sorting, Organizing
|
What is the same and different about..?
Sort or organize the following according to...
|
|
Changing, Varying, Reversing, Altering
|
What if...?
Do... in two or more ways.
What is the quickest, easiest...?
|
|
Generalizing, Conjecturing
|
What happens in general?
Is it always, sometimes, never...?
Describe all possible...
What can change and what has to stay the same so that...is still
true?
|
|
Explaining, Justifying Verifying, Convincing, Refuting
|
Explain why...
Give a reason...
How can be sure that...
|
The activity involving snap cubes that was done with a group of
educators at a conference get at the heart of developing mathematical thinking
skills. A teacher's role is extremely crucial: What kind of questions are you
going to or not going to ask? How are you going to word those questions? How
much guidance will you provide? It's not a matter of how difficult the required
computations are to solve a problem, but how much demand there is on a high
level of mathematical thinking that goes into formulating a final answer.
Dan Meyer points out how we can get through many math or physics
textbooks just by using decoding skills. I also fell into this trap and used to
think that I could "think mathematically" really well when all I ever
did was pull out the numbers in a word problem and plug them into a formula to
get an answer. When I was challenged with real questions, I felt frustrated and
often resorted to leaving it up to others to solve the question because I just wanted
the answer. This goes back to the idea of people being "impatient with
irresolution". As a teacher, one thing to keep in mind is to ask the right
probing questions to get students curious and thinking about how to approach
problems so that they can formulate their own conclusions through patient
problem-solving. I truly believe that if you're equipped with creative critical
thinking skills, you can overcome a lot of difficulties that come your way.
Discussion Questions
1. Prior to discussion: What is your definition of
"thinking"? What is
thinking? What do you think is "mathematical thinking?"
2. What can we do to promote mathematical thinking? More importantly,
how can we get students to become interested in math in the first place so that
they are willing to think about it?
3. From the article: "The more children are tested and graded, the
less motivated they become." We want to encourage kids to develop and
practice critical thinking skills, but we still live in a society where people
are graded and evaluated upon certain marks (e.g. SATs for students, LSAT and
any other standardized exams for various professions). What is your opinion on
standardized testing?
My group talked about many different things; what do we think
mathematical thinking means, using more of open-ended questions and parallel tasks
to promote critical thinking skills, how standardized testing can put some
challenges for educators but also be used to check and reflect on teachers' performance
as a whole. We came to a common understanding that mathematical thinking skills
are not only applied in math, but it's also about developing transferrable
skills which can be used in many different areas when problem-solving.
Thank you Hannah for such a thorough summary of both the readings and class content and conversations about mathematical thinking. I very much resonated with you when you said: "I also fell into this trap and used to think that I could "think mathematically" really well when all I ever did was pull out the numbers in a word problem and plug them into a formula to get an answer. When I was challenged with real questions, I felt frustrated and often resorted to leaving it up to others to solve the question because I just wanted the answer. This goes back to the idea of people being "impatient with irresolution".
ReplyDeleteI used to feel exactly the same way in math class. It always seemed to me that all the explaining and justifying answers was a waste of time and that doing math was about the numbers and calculating and finding the right answers. I can also say that I forgot most of it, and going back now over my high school math, I realize how much I really did not understand much about the math I did then.
Making activities and projects where thinking, reasoning and communicating are central a bigger part of our math classrooms will make students value their learning more as they will be better able to transpose their math knowledge into their daily lives.